PropertyThe Black Church
The front of the Trausch House, 7 George Barițiu street, with its vaulted carriage gate and the tower of the Black Church behind

Brașov · 7 George Barițiu street

The Trausch House, on the old horse market

A listed house one door from the Black Church: a two-storey front with a vaulted carriage gate, a cobbled courtyard behind it, and a façade restored in 2022–2024. The iron bracket of the old sign — the white horse of the horse market — is still out over the pavement.

Ask about this space

Spaces

Space in this house

Nothing is free in this house at present

When a space comes free it is published here — with the floor areas off the plan, the terms of letting and the plan itself to download. If you have a particular house in the old centre in mind, write and tell us what you are looking for: when something opens, the people who asked first are the people we write to first.

Ask about this space

How the letting works

  1. A deposit is payable.
  2. The lease is signed before a notary.
  3. Fitting-out only with the owner's agreement.
  4. The owner may extend the deadline for offers.

Location

Why here

  • One house from the Black Church — the church's buttresses are the wall across the street. Everything walking from the main square to the church passes this pavement.
  • On the old horse market — George Barițiu street, Rossmarkt in German: a short street of some 130 metres carrying all the foot traffic between Piața Sfatului and the Șchei gate.
  • Two minutes from Piața Sfatului — the main square, its terraces and the Council House are at the north end of the street.
  • Among listed neighbours — the Benkner house at number 1, the Ridely house at 2, the Valentinus Hirscher house at 6, the Greek Holy Trinity church at 12. The State Archives, the Forestry Faculty and the maternity hospital are on the same street.
  • A listed building — heritage code BV-II-m-B-11306, dated 16th–19th century, within the protected urban ensemble of the Brașov citadel (BV-II-s-A-11295).
The façade of the house seen in perspective along the pavement, towards the carriage gate
The house, one door from the Black Church. The passage leads through to the courtyard.

History

The house

The history below is taken from the historical study the archivist Gernot Nussbächer made for the parish in 2009 — and from what is there on the façade to be seen.

  • second half of the 18th century

    In its present form the house dates from the second half of the eighteenth century. It is a C-shaped building of two storeys, partly cellared, with a pitched roof and a carriage gate at the western end of the façade. It was remodelled in the middle of the nineteenth century and modernised towards its end. Listed, heritage code BV-II-m-B-11306.

  • 1857 · Franz Josef Trausch

    At the renumbering of Brașov's houses the building becomes number 65, and its owner is Franz Josef Trausch (1795–1871) — archivist, then town notary, senator, and chief of police in Brașov. In his own time he copied and collected documents, manuscripts and books. His principal work is the Schriftsteller-Lexikon der Siebenbürger Deutschen, in three volumes (1868–1871).

  • 16 November 1871

    Franz Josef Trausch dies in this very house. His collection — rich, and of importance for the whole of Transylvania — is for the most part in the historical archive of the Evangelical Parish A.C. of Brașov, a hundred metres from here; a smaller part is in the National Archives in Brașov.

  • 1890 · number 7 on the horse market

    The house passes to Trausch's youngest daughter Julie (b. 1826), married since 1855 to Anton Edler von Theuerkauf. At the renumbering of 1890 the former number 65 becomes number 7 on Târgul Cailor, the horse market — Rossmarkt in German. Julie von Theuerkauf is listed as the owner until 1895.

  • 1896–1910

    From 1896 the owner is Friedrich Fabritius (b. 1856), in the service of the city of Brașov from 1879, senator from 1907 and deputy mayor from 1914; from 1902 to 1910, Josefine Fabricius.

  • 1910 · bought by the parish

    The Evangelical Parish's report for 1898–1915 records that in 1910 the parish bought the Theuerkauf house on the horse market for 40,000 crowns.

  • from 1912 · the Peter Czeides Foundation

    From 1912 the house belongs to the Peter Czeides Foundation within the Evangelical Parish A.C. of Brașov — and that is still how it stands in the Brașov land register, folio 275. Peter Czeides (1809–1889) was a Brașov merchant who made his fortune in Pest; having no heirs, he left most of it to the Evangelical Church in Brașov, endowing foundations for the villages of the Burzenland, a fund for the upkeep of the Black Church, and two scholarship funds.

  • 1893 · 1907 · after 1943

    Connected to the city's drinking water in 1893, to the sewers in 1907–1908, to electricity after the First World War, and to mains gas after 1943.

  • after 1990

    The GERRO company traded in the building, with a printing workshop in the rear wing.

  • 2022–2024 · the restoration

    The façade has been restored: ochre render, window surrounds and pilasters in white, the joinery remade to the historic pattern. In one place the restorers left the old stone walling exposed, iron ring and all — a window into the house that stands behind the nineteenth-century front.

A black and white photograph from 1936: the street, with the Council House tower in the distance
The street towards Piața Sfatului, 1936. Photograph: Leo Wehrli, ETH-Bibliothek Zürich (CC BY-SA 4.0).
A wrought-iron sign with a white horse and a crescent moon on the façade
The white horse of the horse market, photographed in 2020. It came down in the restoration; the iron bracket is still on the façade.

Contact

Get in touch

Write and tell us what you are looking for: the intended use, roughly how many square metres, and when you would want to take it on. We answer in Romanian, German and English.

info@biserica-neagra.ro

+40 268 511 824

Evangelical Parish A.C. of Brașov · The Black Church
Historic property administration
Curtea Johannes Honterus 2, 500025 Brașov, Romania
Office hours: Monday–Friday, 9.00–11.30 and 12.30–14.00